Saturday, July 17, 2010

Caramel Apple Pancakes by the Gourmet Chief

While Amanda does most of the cooking (not because it is expected.. just works out that way.. way better cook than me), I do have a few recipes that are mandatory for putting on the apron every once in a while. One of Amanda's and Maddie's favorites, especially when it comes to breakfast, is my Caramel Apple Pancakes.

My wife actually put this recipe on her blog a few months ago, but I thought maybe I should post it on my own as well. In both cases I find it much easier to make the pancakes vice actually figuring how I make my Caramel Apple Pancakes (I am a wing it kind of cook.. measure? whaattt?). I'm a big believer in that recipes are meant to have some flexibility and you should always be willing to try something different, hence how my Caramel Apple Pancakes came about.

Ingredients (Double Batch):

4 cups – Heart Smart Bisquick (Add additional mix as needed)

2 cups – Milk (Add additional milk as needed)

2 eggs

Single Serving Granny Smith Apple Sauce

1/2 cup – Smucker’s Sundae Syrup (Caramel)

11 oz (1 bag) – Kraft Premium Caramel Bits

1 Granny Smith Apple (2 if the apples are smaller)

Cup of Coffee (Don't put in the mix.. just a requirement for me this early in the morning)


All measurements are a rough estimate. I tend to make my batter a little soupier for fluffier pancakes but feel free to make to your own preference (make sure you wait until everything is mixed together before adding additional milk or mix). Additionally, I have made this from scratch which is how my wife originally posted the recipe, though I have varied the recipe a bit since then (I chop up the apples vice shredding them.. Also I use apple sauce vice apple cider). You will also notice this is a double batch. These pancakes reheat really well and usually last us quite a while after freezing.


The Star Wars Pajama Pants are a key part of the cooking process.


In a large mixing bowl combine the Bisquick, Milk, Eggs, Apple Sauce, Caramel Syrup, and Caramel Bits. This is usually done better with a spatula vice whisk due to the caramel bits. Take the apple and use a peeler to remove the skin. Next cut the apple into small chunks and fold into the batter. This is about the time I add additional milk or mix. As mentioned before I tend to make my batter soupier for fluffy pancakes but this is definitely a preference thing. From there make pancakes as you normally would (I usually use a 1/4 cup for pouring). Make sure to remix the batter every once in awhile to keep the caramel bits from sinking to the bottom. One thing you do want to be aware of is that as you make the pancakes on the griddle that the apples will break down and thin out the batter (just a little more mix to thicken it back up).


As mentioned before this makes a double batch so freeze whatever you don't eat. To reheat just pull out how many you want from the freezer, stick on a cookie sheet, place in the oven, and turn the oven to 350 degrees. Usually by the time the oven pre-heats the pancakes are good to pull from the oven but if you oven is more proficient than ours then you might want to wait a few minutes.Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest, these are the BEST pancakes ever. - Mom (Kathy)

    ReplyDelete